First Grade Weekly Update
- Thank you for sending in your conference request times! The faculty will be scheduling and coordinating family schedules. Look for confirmation of your appointment before October 1.
- Remember to please send an oversized shirt for students to wear when painting in art class.
- Please check sweaters/sweatshirts that come home with your child’s name-if it belongs to someone else, please return.
- There is no school on Friday, 9/20, for students. The teachers will be attending a Diocesan Staff Day.
Here’s a look at what we’ll be working on:
- practice short vowel sounds
- sight words: I my she her he his
- phonics: /ch/ spelled ch (chick) and tch as in catch
- grammar: pronouns
- What is a sentence? capitalization and end marks
- subitize (quickly identify the number of items in a small set without counting)
- count by 2’s, 5’s, & 10’s
- relationship between addition and subtraction
- adding with 10
- comparing numbers
- the Bible is the Written Word of God
- we listen to the Bible to learn about God’s love and to follow Jesus
- Community Circle
- God’s love
Dates to Remember:
- September 20: no school for students
- September 21: Fun Fair
- September 23: September birthday free dress
- October 4: Blessing of the Animals
- October 8-11: noon dismissal for Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences
- October 14: Columbus Day Holiday
- October 18: Picture retakes
- October 21: October birthday free dress
- October 31: Halloween Parade
- November 1: All Saints Day, 8:30 a.m. all school mass