Second Grade Update
Dear Second Grade Families,
Thank you again to all of our parent volunteers who have spent time in our classroom this year and/or made donations! Between the holiday parties, STEM Docent, Art Docent, Crab Feed class art project, Book Fair donations, etc., your generosity is amazing and so very appreciated!
I’ll be in touch soon regarding our next field trip – we will need a good number of chaperones and drivers to get to our destination. This is a great way to earn your hours for SPN, too!
Below is our weekly update. I look forward to a great week of learning with your children!
What We Are Learning –
- English Language Arts
- Word Work – learning pattern words with -ight, -aught, -ought; substituting ph and gh for the sound /f/; developing dictionary skills
- Reading – practicing reading strategies to support comprehension with our SUPER Magazine
- Writing – finalizing our how-to writing
- Math – measuring using inches, feet, and yards; using the appropriate measurement tool for the task at hand
- Social Studies – beginning our unit on government; introducing new vocabulary and making connections to individuals who have made positive changes to our system over time (great timing as we look forward to celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.!)
- Science – diving into the plant world to explore how they grow / reproduce / adapt within different environments
- Religion – focusing on the Church
Upcoming Important Dates/Events –
– Thursday, Jan. 17th – Pajama Day
– Friday, Jan. 18th – Staff Development Day – NO school for students
– Monday, Jan. 21st – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – No school
– Tuesday, Jan. 22nd – Wednesday, Jan. 23rd – Students recite Oratorical Fest pieces in class (please make sure they are practicing at home!)
– Wednesday, Jan. 23rd – ZONES of Regulation Parent Ed Night 7:00pm