First Grade Weekly Update
The Show and Tell topic this week is ‘something that makes you laugh.’
Thank you to everyone who purchased books from the Book Fair to donate to the First Grade Classroom. The library is growing and the students are enjoying reading.
The students have also begun reading on RAZ kids this week. This can be accessed via Clever and can be done at home as well as school.
We hope you will be able to participate in two SPN traditions Advent & Christmas season:
- Adopt a Family: We will be making cards and distributing gifts for Meals on Wheels, Friendly Visitors, and local convalescent homes. Please consider purchasing gift cards for groceries or food delivery and/or socks, scarves, or slippers for elderly men and women, wrapped (please label Male or Female and “socks,” “scarf” or “slippers”)
- Christmas Eve 5:15 p.m. mass: First graders are asked to volunteer to act out the nativity story. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
The first grade portion of the Christmas Concert will be filmed on Thursday. Students are invited to bring Christmas attire to wear only during the filming (Santa hats, antlers, scarves….) with a white uniform shirt.
Finally, please check all sweaters/sweatshirts that come home to be sure it doesn’t have someone else’s name inside. We have a couple missing and they all look the same once they come off during the warmer days.
What we are working on:
- continue to master short vowel sounds
- spelling/sounds: /ed/ (melted, spilled, cracked) and the past tense
- sight words: look, your, the, was, are, for
- story comprehension: sequence of events, text structure
- develop fluent reading with repeated reading
- opinion writing
- addition and subtraction practice
- doubles +1
- St. Nicholas & St. Juan Diego
- What causes the Northern Lights?
Dates to Remember:
- December 8: Immaculate Conception Mass @ 9:30 a.m. live streamed in the classroom
- December 14: December birthdays free dress
- December 14: Art Docent
- December 16: Christmas Concert (a link will be sent)
- December 17: Minimum Day (noon dismissal, NO Share & Care)
- December 20-January 3: Christmas vacation
- January 3: No School-Teacher Work Day
- January 14: No School-Elementary Staff Day