First Grade Weekly Update
The first graders are 100 days smarter! What a wonderful 100th day we had filled with so many activities.
We will celebrate Valentine’s Day on February 14. If your child wishes to bring in Valentine’s for the class, please just sign “From” your child rather than also addressing who it is for-it makes for easier distribution.
I will present the Circle of Grace safe environment curriculum this week as noted in the letter sent home last week.
If your child is interested in creating a book for the Diocesan Young Author’s Fair, please let me know and I can send home the guidelines. We will be doing a class book in the classroom, but budding authors are welcome to do individual books on their own. Books will be due on March 4.
Here is a look at what we are working on this week:
English Language Arts:
- read Lily’s Little Boat, The Little Horse, A Toy Story
- sight words: would could some one new were
- long vowel words spelled with ai (rain) and oa (boat)
- long vowel words spelled with ea (peach) and ee (bee)
- opinion writing
- number stories using the number line
- addition and subtraction with multiples of 10
- develop number sense and relationship among numbers in 0-120 range
- Circle of Grace-Safe Environment
- Zones of Regulation-identify the zones with facial expressions
- Valentine’s day
- What does your shadow do when you are not looking
Dates to Remember:
February 9-Crab Feed
February 11-free dress for February birthdays
February 18-President’s Day Holiday
March 4-Young Author’s Faire books due (optional)
March 5-Burning of the Palms Prayer Service
March 6-Ash Wednesday, 8:30 all school mass (full uniform)
March 8-end of 2nd trimester!
March 14-Report cards home
March 15-No school for students