Second Grade Update
Dear Second Grade Families,
On Friday, we completed our final STAR test of the year (if your child was absent, they will complete it tomorrow morning). I am very proud of all students and look forward to sharing their progress with you. Summaries will be going home with final report cards.
Regarding the field trip, I appreciate everyone’s flexibility. I will be sending out a final update on date/time/chaperones/drivers as soon as I clarify one last thing with the office. In terms of permission slips, we will have the normal SPN permission slip as well as one from Semifreddi’s – both need to be returned for students to attend the field trip. I will send an email to alert you when I have sent them home with your child.
Below is our weekly update. I look forward to a great week of learning with your children!
What We Are Learning –
- English Language Arts
- Word Work – identifying prefixes and suffixes, understanding homophones, reading pattern words with /ār/ spelled air, airy, ear, are, erry, and ary
- Reading – exploring SUPER magazine and reinforcing the skills of identifying words important to the text, sequencing events or steps, and understanding proper nouns and place names
- Writing – presenting African Animal reports
- Math – continuing to develop skills with word problems, including those involving currency
- Social Studies – exploring economic concepts (producers/consumers, goods/services, wants/needs)
- Science – considering how scientists organize animals into groups based on characteristics; continuing read-aloud, “Top Secret”
- Religion – finishing service learning project – cards with messages of joy, comfort, and kindness for elderly parishioners who are visited regularly by Father Robert and Father Anthony
Upcoming Important Dates/Events –
– Monday, May 20th – Free dress for May/June birthdays
– Tuesday, May 21st – Tropical Tuesday Spirit Day
– Thursday, May 23rd – Sports Awards (Lincoln Park, BBQ at 6pm, awards at 6:30pm)
– Friday, May 24th – All School Mass at 8:30am; Noon Dismissal
– Monday, May 27th – Memorial Day (No School)
– Wednesday, Jun. 5th – Second Grade End-of-the-Year Party! (please see the signup list on Shutterfly – all contributions very much appreciated)
– Thursday, Jun. 6th – Field Trip to Semifreddi’s
– Friday, Jun. 7th – Last day of school – Moving Up Ceremony at 10am with dismissal immediately after