Second Grade Update
Dear Second Grade Families,
You children enjoyed popsicles and a fun trip to Lincoln Park as a celebration of our second marble jar filling! Wow, were they excited on Wednesday when they earned the last of the marbles! It was quite a countdown!
Students also worked carefully to create some gorgeous “stained glass” windows to celebrate the Holy Trinity. Students will be learning the “Glory Be” prayer in the coming weeks. A copy will be sent home on Monday – please help them practice and learn it by the end of the month. It is relatively short, but let me know if your student has any trouble. Thank you!
Below is our weekly update:
Focus Areas for Our Learning Next Week:
- Reading – Students will continue with our SUPER Magazine. They will practice understanding vocabulary, picture-text relationships, and connecting ideas. Fluent reading (reading at an appropriate pace with accuracy and expression) continues to be an area of focus for all students.
- Grammar/Spelling – In Superkids, students practice words with the different sounds “s” can have in different words – /s/ or /z/. We will also practice making singular nouns plural and breaking longer words into syllables.
- Writing – Students will practice listening and speaking skills by sharing their personal narratives with their classmates. Then they will have the opportunity to provide positive, constructive feedback.
- Math –The class will continue to work with place value in three-digit numbers. We will also start into measurement – measuring the length of objects by laying multiple copies of a shorter unit end to end and determining exactly how much longer one object is than another.
- Religion – We will finish our chapter about the Holy Trinity – One God in Three Divine Persons.
- Science – Continuing our unit about changes to the Earth’s surface over time, students explore the creation of the Grand Canyon.
- Social Studies – Students explore family treasures as part of a family’s history and culture. The class will also discuss how we can and do honor cultures in our diverse communities.
Other Updates for this Week:
- Field Trip! – Please review this summary for our field trip on Tuesday, the 19th. (Drivers and chaperones, I have sent you a more detailed email as well.)
- Safe Bodies – Students were again reminded to keep safe bodies – hands, arms, bodies, feet to yourself. On Thursday, I let students know that starting today, I would have zero tolerance for unsafe bodies. I shared what would happen if I observed, or was told about (through yard duty, an enrichment teacher, etc.) unsafe behavior:
- first time – a note home
- second time – a PCF
- third time – a PCF and a family/teacher/principal meeting
**Students understood that the purpose of these consequences was to keep everyone safe here at school. Students took the conversation seriously, and today was MUCH improved – in line, at recess, and even our park trip! I thanked the students and let them know I expected this to continue into next week and beyond! 🙂
- First Reconciliation/First Communion – Please submit your paperwork if your child is going to receive these sacraments. If you have questions, you may reach out to Mrs. Bustos (email forwarded from me on Friday, Oct. 1st). Thank you!
- Dates to remember:
- Tuesday, Oct. 19th: Field Trip to Alameda Food Bank!
- Friday, Oct. 22nd: Dollars for Jeans Day ($1 for free dress pants; $3 for full free dress)
- Friday, Oct. 29th: Noon Dismissal – Halloween Parade
We hope you enjoy a lovely long weekend and look forward to seeing our students on Monday!
All the best,