Second Grade Update
Dear Second Grade Families,
I hope you are all safe and well. 🙂
We received a lovely note back from the director of the Alameda Food Bank in regards to the thank you cards our class sent to recognize their service to our community. I have attached it here for your enjoyment – your children received some very nice compliments.
Below is our weekly update:
Focus Areas for Our Learning:
- Reading – We finish our book clubs this week. Our focus will be on making predictions, connecting events, and citing text evidence. Students continue to practice fluent reading (accuracy, pace, and expression).
- Grammar/Spelling – In Superkids, students will practice words where a, e, and o make the/ŭ/ sound, as well as -en /ŭn/ and -on /ŭn/.
- Writing – Students will explore different types of figurative language and have an opportunity to use it in poetry. We will write animal poems!
- Math –The class will start working with three-dimensional shapes and identify the number of faces, edges, and vertices. We will also revisit concepts of place value as we work with 3-digit numbers.
- Religion – Students will learn about the different parts of the Mass.
- Science – Students will reinforce what they are learning about materials and their property with a short video and song.
- Social Studies – The class will practice using skills to read and use maps. They will be able to identify their city, state, country, and continent.
Updates for this Week:
- Superkids books – Most students turned in their old Superkids hardback reader and workbook (“Superkids Hit Second Grade”, blue cover). Thank you! If your child still has these at home, they should bring them on Monday. I am missing a few.
- Dates to remember:
- March 5th: SPN Virtual Auction! Please join us!
- March 10th: Wacky Hair Day! (spirit day)
- March 12th: End of the 2nd Trimester, Noon Dismissal
- March 15th: No School – Teacher Development Day
- March 17th: Green and white free dress – Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Key Documents/Links (master file attached for printing):
- Schedule –
- Friday – Instead of reading groups, we will enjoy a visit from the Alameda Free Library. Students should all login to Zoom at 1pm. They will need a piece of square paper for an activity. Origami paper or any other kind of paper will work, as long as it is a square.
- Weekly Assignment Matrix – Students should continue to check off their at-home assignments to ensure they are on track.
- Become a Writing Superstar worksheet – All students should have now watched the video about this on Clever and know what to do. It is due in class on Friday.
Thank you for your continued support, and I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!
All the best,