Second Grade Update
Dear Second Grade Families,
I hope your weekend has been wonderful! Below is our weekly update.
Focus Areas for Our Learning:
- Reading – We will continue our book clubs this week with a focus on practicing fluent reading skills – reading with accuracy, at a good pace, and with expression. Students will pay special attention to punctuation.
- Grammar/Spelling – In Superkids, students will practice decoding and encoding words with oo and ew. They will also review dialogue punctuation.
- Writing – Using a graphic organizer, students will write an informative piece of How-To writing that teaches someone else how to do something. It could be a recipe, directions to a game, instructions for how to perform a skill, etc.
- Math – Students will start our unit on measurement with a focus on length. We will explore why we use certain measurement tools to measure different distances, and practice using tools to measure with accuracy. We will also explore graphs and evaluate the data reflected in the graphs using equations.
- Religion – We will begin our chapter on the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- Science – Students continue exploring material properties and will engage in an activity where they will evaluate the function and usefulness of different materials as they construct a hat!
Updates for this Week:
- Reading Practice: Many students have been doing some great reading practice – RAZ, ReadWorks, Lexia, Epic, and taking AR Quizzes! Thank you for your support, and please keep encouraging their efforts! Consistency with these activities is extremely important because it not only builds their skills, but also their confidence. Thank you again!
- Oratorical Fest: Please make sure your child brings a hard copy of their selection to school by tomorrow. If you have already sent me a copy, thank you! (Information about the Oratorical Fest was sent home with your child in their backpack before break.)
- Dates to remember:
- January 15: No School – Diocesan Staff Day
- January 18: No School MLK Day
- January 19: Special Guest: Ms. Andie from Alameda Free Library
- January 21: Students will recite their Oratorical Fest selections in class (please be practicing with them at home)
- January 27: Spirit Day (theme to be announced)
- January 31st: Catholic Schools Week Mass (virtual)
- January 31st: Virtual Open House (details to come)
- February 1st-5th: Catholic Schools Week: Theme: Faith, Service, Excellence
Key Documents/Links (master file also attached for printing):
- Schedule – Please note there is no school for students on Friday.
- Weekly Assignment Matrix – Students should continue to check off their at-home assignments to ensure they are on track. If anyone has issues printing, please let me know.
I look forward to another week of learning and exploration with our wonderful second grade!
All the best,