First Grade Weekly Update
- Conference confirmation slips were sent home on Friday (9/27). Please look for them in the green homework folder.
- Please send in toilet paper rolls for a Science exploration with sound and vibrations.
- Blessing of the Animals-students may bring a pet for a blessing at the morning assembly. Live and stuffed pets are ok. All live pets must go home with an adult following the Prayer Service. Stuffed pets are welcome to stay for the day.
- Remember to please send an oversized shirt for students to wear when painting in art class.
- Please check sweaters/sweatshirts that come home with your child’s name-if it belongs to someone else, please return.
Here’s a look at what we’ll be working on:
- practice short vowel sounds
- sight words: I my she her he his
- /ch/ spelled ‘ch’ (chick) and ‘tch’ (catch)/sh/ shell
- grammar: pronouns
- What is a sentence?
- types of sentences
- adding details
- subitize (quickly identify the number of items in a small set without counting)
- count by 2’s, 5’s, & 10’s
- what number comes before and after
- > < and = signs
- adding with 10
- the Bible tells us about people who had great faith in God
- Jesus helps us to know and love God
- St. Francis-Blessing of the Animals
- Our church helps us to know God
- Community Circle
Dates to Remember:
- October 4: Blessing of the Animals
- October 8-11: noon dismissal for Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences
- October 14: Columbus Day Holiday
- October 18: Picture retakes
- October 21: October birthday free dress
- October 31: Halloween Parade
- November 1: All Saints Day, 8:30 a.m. all school mass