First Grade Weekly Update
- All the first graders turned in poems for the Oratorical Fest! Now it is time to start memorizing them and practicing. We will begin reciting them in the classroom on Thursday, January 16.
- Scholastic Book Orders are due Tuesday, January 14.
- Next Thursday, January 16, is Disney Day. Students may have Disney free dress.
- If your child is interested in participating in the Diocesan Young Authors Faire in the spring, please ask for the guidelines.
Here’s a look at what we’ll be working on:
- reading: When the Superkids Pretend, The Foolish Giant and SUPER DUPER: On The Hunt for Lost Stuff
- sight words: there from be we or to
- review nouns and verbs
- long vowels with CV pattern (go, he, me, hi…)
- descriptive writing
- Comparing numbers: >, <, =
- place value: tens and ones
- equivalent names for 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (e.g. 3+4 = 1+6)
- Community Circle
- Jesus shares God’s love with everyone
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dates to Remember:
- January 12: Family Mass, 9 a.m.
- January 13: free dress for January birthdays
- January 16: Disney Day
- January 17: No School for students (Teacher Inservice Day)
- January 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- January 23: Art Docent
- January 26: Catholic School’s Mass, 9 a.m.
- January 26-31: Catholic School’s Week
- January 30: Oratorical Fest, 1 p.m.
- January 31: Minimum day